Welcome to Confident Hannah

An inspiration blog for career women and others who want to live their life to the fullest. Core message of this blog is: don't ever let anyone tell you who you are, own your life, or decide what you can or can't accomplish! Live your life, live your dream.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Choosing employer

I had my first real face to face with my manager today. I mean real as in the first time we sat down, went through priorities and the last months and the nest few months agenda. And it has been long enough to be past the honey-moon-phase (you know, the first weeks on a new job where everything is just great!) and enough time for some good healthy conflicts.

Well, I had my first real conversation with my manager, real in a sense that he dared giving me feedback. And it struck me, that this manager (although all managers have their flaws) is one of the better ones I have had. Not only does i openly share what I have done right - something so many managers often forget - but he also openly shares what things WE should try to work on.

Not even myself in a manager role have ever used "WE" will work on these improvement areas. But just that little word, on top of everything else like: giving constructive feedback, giving praise, setting clear goals for the next weeks as well as the next quarter, setting expectations on what I should own and deliver AND what not to own and deliver. I just went home singing from work today.

Again, every manager has their flaws, but I believe this one will be one of the better bets I've ever made.

Oh and by the way, why I formulate it this way is because I always choose my boss. Every assignment I have accepted, has had one big decision stone it it based on the manager and the style and what other people say about him or her. And good reasons for leaving a job is always if your manager doesn't allow you to grow or doesn't guide you in a growing path with clear direction. Or if the manager is purely incompetent on leading and motivating people. There are just sooooo many bad managers out there, that have only been promoted because they have been around too long. So, you don't have the time to waste working for an incompetent diminishing manager, no!! Make sure to choose your path your career and above all your employer and manager.

I am happy with my choice. And what a difference from the place where I was before, where there were no respect what so ever. And no room for learning or making mistakes. If there is no room for mistakes, how will you ever dare being creative or innovative?

DARE CHANGING JOBS IF YOUR MANAGEMENT IS INCOMPETENT. It can only get better, and it is never a good career to work with incompetent people.

No comments:

Post a Comment