Welcome to Confident Hannah

An inspiration blog for career women and others who want to live their life to the fullest. Core message of this blog is: don't ever let anyone tell you who you are, own your life, or decide what you can or can't accomplish! Live your life, live your dream.

Friday, August 28, 2009

The Power Game

I talked to a friend of mine the other day, who was upset about how her manager had cut her off during a meeting with VPs. It reminded me of a situation that happened to me a few years back.

I was invloved in an education program for global sales. We were 4-6 people developing content that would reach 200 trainers, who would travel out in the world and educate our sales forces. I was part of this group. Contributing equally with the others to the deliverables. At the event, each of the group memebers were assigned different passages of the training sessions. My passage was 20 minutes. All the other guys' parts were scheduled for 1 hour each.

Oh well. I thought: I am the greenest in these contexts, so maybe it is a "try run" and kind of a test from my boss to see if I can do it. Perhaps he is testing me so I can get more of these assignements for the next round. I prepared my session and thought I did a pretty good job putting something clear and communicative presentation material together. The others did their parts too, but most of them had just cut together from previous presentation decks, so the flows of their material weren't as worked through as mine.

They each gave their sessions, and of course exceeded their time limits. When it was my turn my manager asked me to cover what I had in 10 minutes, with the motivation that we were running out of time. Irritated, but cooperative, I cut out a few parts of my session.

In the first minutes of my presentation my boss suddenly starts to interrupt me. "Clarifying" what I just said. I have never felt so humiliated and belittled in the last 5 years of my career. I have always had good ratings on presentaiton skills. People like my energy, my simple way of explaining things, and my many levels of communcation. I strongly doubt I had a sudden episode of communication-disability. I doubt that he had to "clarify" anything. His clarifications were more interruptive than anything else. And he distrupted the planned flow, and I had to regain control of the session several times.

Not only did I miss out on important parts, due to lack of time, but he made me take other tracks than I planned with my messages. When I confronted him, a few weeks later, when things had calmed down a bit, he asked me to confront him "in context" next time, as he couldn't recall the session I was referring to. Hm. How many training session did I give?

Later I reflected objectively and ended up that he might have just wanted to reinforce and repeat important messages, so his intention would not have been interrupting or clarifying, but instead highlighting what I said. Perhaps. There are always two sides of a story, and I would rather give someone benefit of a doubt. The challenge is however still there: how do you win back the lost power, when someone has made an action which has caused deminishing harm?

One trick that I have learned is to thank the interrupting and belittleing person for his/her ADDITIONS to your messaging, but maybe some of you have better power language tricks and tips? Feel free to comment and share your power game stories and advise.

No comments:

Post a Comment