Welcome to Confident Hannah

An inspiration blog for career women and others who want to live their life to the fullest. Core message of this blog is: don't ever let anyone tell you who you are, own your life, or decide what you can or can't accomplish! Live your life, live your dream.

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Glass Ceiling

After my last post I received a few emails with concerns and questions around "what if I meet a blocker and don't see how to get around it with the side-way approach?"

Well, I wish I could say there is always a way. If you don't find it, create it. If there are no higher responsibilities to strive for, because they are all assigned to other people, you could (if it make sense) try to find or create some responsibility of your own. If for no other reason, just to motivate yourself to keep going. I know it sounds ridiculous and meaningless, but sometimes finding a way around blockers takes time to spot. And you need something to keep you focused, motivated, and continuing doing a great job, so that when the opportunity comes, you are for sure pepped and ready!

There is a key thought to hold on to, and that is that most organizations (who are healthy) continue to grow and change. Hence, there is a big chance an opening will present itself in time. If you keep your eyes and ears open, and if you stretch your perspective to other departments and responsibilities.

But I know it is not easy. And when I was in black blocked holes, well, then those words comforted only temporarily. So what can I advise?

I think I can say one thing, but it needs careful consideration, as previous blog-entries have covered. You can decide to look elsewhere and move on. If you have had the same performance evaluation conversation with your boss over the last two years, and if you have clearly - in writing - described to him or her what you want to do and how you want to grow. And there is no response. Well then... it is a signal that you are not listened to, and that your growth potential is being limited by a blocker. TRY TO FIND SOMETHING ELSE. And again, I know, easier said then done. Especially in these times. But GREAT PEOPLE always get hired and always find a way. So keep looking.

Still, I know it is hard. Been there.

The best advise I have had - and it is possible I have mentioned it before - is to choose your boss. That can be reinforced in this context. Don't SETTLE FOR A BLOCKING BOSS. Your manager's responsibility (to deserve the salary he or she has) is to ENABLE YOU in your growth path. Challenge you to get out of your comfort zone. Build strong leaders and communicators and increase skills and knowledge among the staff. If this is not facilitated. If the manager holds you back, then it is his or her loss if you leave for someone who do enable you.

BE BRAVE. MOVE ON. Choose your boss!

No comments:

Post a Comment